Many consumers are confused why they should choose an orthodontist in the Durham and Oxford NC areas at Wilson Orthodontics versus a general dentist or pedodontist to straighten their teeth with braces or Invisalign. Plain and simple… the answer is experience and training.
Differences - Durham & Oxford Dentists, Pedodontists & Orthodontists?
- All are dentists who specialize in oral care, and all are technically dentists.
- Durham & Oxford, NC Orthodontists complete an additional two – three years of training in orthodontics, above and beyond general dentistry
- Pedodontists complete and additional two – three years training to specialize in all areas of general dentistry for children
- All orthodontists in Durham and Oxford are dentists, but only 10 percent of dentists are orthodontists. Orthodontists limit their practice to moving teeth and correcting jaw irregularities
- Dentists and Pedodontists refer their patients to a Durham & Oxford orthodontist if they have problems with the alignment of their teeth or a bite abnormality of some kind. The same as a physician would refer you to a cardiologist or orthopedists if you had heart or skeletal issues.
- If you do not suffer from a bite irregularity or misaligned teeth, you will likely never have to see an orthodontist in Durham and Oxford, NC. If you do, an orthodontist in Durham and Oxford is the best qualified professional to treat your needs for a healthy long term dental result.
With the sudden rise in general dentists and pedodontists offering orthodontic services, it is important to understand the differences in treatment delivery and care! At Wilson Orthodontics all we do is braces and orthodontics, all day long, day in a day out, with thousands of beautiful smiles created over the years. Before you make your final selection to straighten your teeth, contact our Durham and Oxford orthodontic offices for a free braces exam and learn about the difference.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Wilson Orthodontics For Braces
Specializing In SureSmile®, Invisalign®, Damon® Braces & Other Orthodontic Treatment Options
Durham & Oxford Orthodontist, Dr. Wilson of Wilson Orthodontics offers the most advanced braces for children, teens and adults, including Invisalign® clear aligners, Damon® braces, SureSmile® braces and traditional metal braces.
Contact us today for a complimentary orthodontic and braces exam at either of our orthodontic offices conveniently located in Durham and Oxford, North Carolina (NC).