Although emergencies with braces are not a common occurrence, they can happen, and can set you back in your treatment. Proper knowledge and care will prepare you to address an issue should it arise. Your orthodontist in Durham, NC wants to have you ready if any problems present themselves. Choosing braces-friendly foods, following the oral care regimen laid out by top rated Durham orthodontist, Dr. Wilson and his team, and keeping up with your orthodontic appointments are definitely help you or your child stay on track. Even so, you may still experience an unexpected problem, such as mouth sores, bands popping, or poking wires, and you should always be prepared.
Care and Preparation Checklist From Your Durham, NC Orthodontist:
- Avoid damaging foods of the hard, crunchy, sticky and chewy variety.
- Brush, floss and orally irrigate with your water-pik faithfully and thoroughly following each meal.
- Use over the counter pain medication like Ibuprofen, along with a salt rinse/ gargle should any discomfort develop.
- Keep cotton balls and wax on hand should any wires poke free into your lips or cheek causing irritation.
- Make sure your mouth-guard is always in when participating in sports and other contact activities.
- Until then, try dissolving a teaspoon of salt in an eight-ounce glass of water and gargling with the solution.
- Q-tips and or tweezers can help realign arch wires; alcohol sterilized tweezers to cut extended wires.
- Always keep Dr. Wilson and his team in the know by scheduling a visit for any pain or repair work required.
Please consult our Durham orthodontics office before attempting any of these minor adjustments to your braces. With this list, you can prepare yourself and address any concerns with braces before it becomes worse. While it's best to consult with your orthodontist in Durham, sometimes these issues may arise at an inconvenient time and we want you to know how to take care of it. Always have the Durham, NC orthodontics office number available so we can schedule a visit, or walk you through a minor crisis you can fix at home. With Wilson Orthodontics, remember that you’ll never have to face any braces issue alone.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our orthodontics office in Durham, NC would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
About Wilson Orthodontics
Specializing In Emergencies With Braces In Durham, NC
Dr. Wilson, our top rated orthodontist in Durham, NC offers many solutions to orthodontic emergencies including care for braces and orthodontic treatment for children and adults. These include Invisalign clear aligners, Damon braces, SureSmile braces, and traditional metal braces.
Call today for a complimentary smile analysis at either of our orthodontic offices conveniently located in Durham and Oxford, North Carolina (NC).
Wilson Orthodontics Of Durham
2900 Croasdaile Dr. Suite 3
Durham, NC 27705